Monday, April 27, 2009

Crashing On The Other Coast

This weekend was my first ISC event and it was at the Encino velodrome....and it was hard. Despite tons of help from Nic Case and others (thanks Tim Smith, Shawn Palmer (of Schumacher USA), Gary O'Conner, and others I am forgetting at the moment) I could not get the car to handle very well and just wasn't good enough to drive through the problems so I spent most of the weekend crashing into the retainer walls. It was all good though and I think the experience gained will be highly beneficial for the next closed course event as this was my first time to ever even see a velo track much less drive on one (and I am not exactly the best setup guy, I need LOTS of practice normally with something new to find what works).

So I performed awful but it really didn't sour the event for me, it was so much fun attempting to run, meeting cool people, and I felt the race just turned out so well in general that I am very happy I went. I think the word got out some more about speed racing too and hopefully the next event will have even more people.

It was a very cool experience for me as there was magazine coverage, industry members in attendance, and happy people enjoying seeing things like Nic ripping off some super fast laps, not to mention it was great watching the Southwest Tour guys run too (some of those guys were super impressive). Hey I even got to meet Dan from Dan's RC Stuff and he gave me some of of his Speed Clean Plastic Cleaner (great product by the way) which was cool as I have been buying his products for years and you just don't meet rc industry people in Alabama.

In all now I am just more excited about competing and hopefully next time I can bring the speed! If will excuse me I need to go fix my car and practice some more as I am not real crazy about losing.

Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment